web analytics

Tennessee Guard UH-60 rescue hiker in Great Smoky Mountains National Park

Tennessee Army National Guard UH-60 Black Hawk aircrew rescue a hiker in the Smoky Mountains
A Tennessee Army National Guard UH-60L Black Hawk helicopter aircrew rescue a hiker in the Smoky Mountains National Park.
Archive image: Tennessee National Guard’s UH-60L Black Hawk aircrew and Nashville Fire Department’s Helicopter-borne Aquatic Rescue Team prepare for the water rescue mission during a joint exercise near Smyrna’s National Guard Volunteer Training Site.
Photo by: Deputy Communications Director Justin Lane, Office of the Governor.
Story by Lt. Col. Darrin Haas, Tennessee National Guard 

LOUISVILLE, Tenn. – On the evening of Wednesday, June 12, a Tennessee Army National Guard UH-60L Black Hawk aircrew, based at Joint Base McGhee-Tyson, rescue a hiker having a medical emergency in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park.

Shortly after 7 p.m., eastern time, the Tennessee National Guard and the Tennessee Emergency Management Agency (TEMA) were notified of a hiker suffering from cardiac distress and needing rapid transport to a nearby hospital. The hiker was in a remote area, at the Double Spring Gap Shelter, south of Gatlinburg, near the North Carolina border.

Once TEMA was notified of the possible mission, the Tennessee National Guardsmen assigned to Task Force Smokey, assembled a flight crew, readied a UH-60L Black Hawk helicopter for flight, and prepared to rescue the hiker. Ten minutes after the mission was approved, the aircraft departed Joint Base McGhee-Tyson and flew directly to the Double Spring Gap Shelter.

The Tennessee Army National Guard UH-60L Black Hawk aircrew consisted of two pilots, 1st Lt. Gavin Huffman and Chief Warrant Officer 4 Robert Koons, the crew chief, Sgt. Daniel Bandy, and two flight paramedics, Sgt. 1st Class Giovanni DeZuani and Staff Sgt. Sarah Hanna.

Twenty minutes after launching, the UH-60 Black Hawk aircraft arrived at the shelter and located the hiker and park rangers with the Great Smoky Mountains National Park, who were rendering first aid.

Shortly before 8:30 p.m., the UH-60L helicopter aircrew chief, Daniel Bandy, lowered Giovanni DeZuani, the fight paramedic, to the ground by hoist to do a quick medical assessment and prepare the hiker for transport. After a few minutes rendering aid, the hiker and DeZuani were then hoisted into the Blackhawk helicopter hovering above where first aid was continued. Once everyone was safely on board, the helicopter flew to the University of Tennessee Medical Center in Knoxville.

At approximately 8:50 p.m., the aircraft landed at the medical center where medical personnel rushed the patient into the emergency room. Once the patient was safely in the care of medical professionals, the rescue helicopter returned to Louisville and landed just before 9:30 p.m.

For more Hlcopters Magazine breaking news, stories, images and videos visit hlcopters.com and follow us on Facebook, X, Instagram and YouTube.

The appearance of U.S. Department of Defense (DoD) visual information does not imply or constitute DoD endorsement.

Deja una respuesta

Tu dirección de correo electrónico no será publicada. Los campos obligatorios están marcados con *

error: Content is protected !!